I almost quit Network Marketing.
Not once, but multiple times over my 36-year career.
Here’s a few of the reasons why I was going to quit:
1) I had run out of new people to talk to.
Everyone I knew had already said no to me and had no interest in hearing about it again from me. I found myself putting flyers on cars at the mall for a few weeks only to have the police show up at my home saying I had to stop it or they would fine me. I put my business cards in the bathrooms and water fountains at the mall only to have them call me at home asking me to stop as well. I’d bump into people at county fairs on the weekend and pawn shops only to have them pitch me on their deal and they had no interest in mine. It was like nobody I knew was ambitious and all the ambitious people had already found a “gig” to work! To say I was frustrated and depressed was an understatement. I started to lose belief in myself and this profession altogether. I found myself getting used to the idea of living in a 2-bedroom apartment the rest of my life driving a beat up old car and never living the lifestyle that I’d always dreamed of. In fact, I started to “cuss” at my dreams as they did nothing now but fill me with anger and disappointment.
2) I was “thinking” about doing Network Marketing more than I was actually doing it.
Like getting a gym membership and driving by it several times a day. You know you need to go in there but you put it off and justify that by saying you’re too busy. Or, worse yet, you fall into the trap of these words: “someday I’ll go to the gym, lose this weight and get fit again”. After a few months of that you eventually call the gym and cancel your monthly auto-draft out of your checking account or credit card. Why? Because it has now become an expense you are not getting any benefit from. Plus, it removes the PAIN of driving by the gym and feeling guilty or less of yourself. To quit the gym for me meant to remove the pain I associated with it on a daily basis.
So, was the same story with my Network Marketing business.
I wasn’t doing anything, yet I wanted to, yet I needed to, yet I had more expenses than income.
It was getting down to a simple “Math Decision”.
“If you’re not going to do it, Robert, just cancel and be done with it. Stop all this silly suffering and moaning and groaning about it”, my wife would tell me.
36 years later I find myself full of activity, a good group growing and money coming in so I don’t have to go get a job and work for someone else.
Yet, I find my downline has the same dilemma that I had fell victim to: “The Constant Thought of Quitting“.
It consumed me.
It made me furious at myself.
I started avoiding the conference calls and events as I couldn’t stand watching other people’s success when I was struggling.
I was struggling not because Network Marketing doesn’t work.
I was struggling because I WAS NOT WORKING…at all!
So, I made a decision.
To either get all the way in Network Marketing, or to get out of it for the rest of my life!
I was sick and tired of the frustration of seeing others succeed while I was not.
I was sick and tired of not having a daily game plan to replace my income at work and go full time in this business.
I knew it was possible as I had seen and spoken with others who had, yet I lacked their WORK ETHIC.
So, I got out a Legal Pad and started figuring out what I could do to quit my job in 2 years.
At that time I need $5,000 a month.
So, I did the math.
To make $5,000 a month I needed $100,000 in sales volume at a rate of 5% in commissions to earn $5,000 in commissions.
Here was my math:
$100,000 x 5% = $5,000 a month.
To be honest when I first sat down and wrote this out it depressed the hell out of me.
I thought: “How in the world can I get to $100,000 a month in sales?”
So, I called the company and asked to speak with the top earner, to give me his phone numbers.
I called him and explained to him my issue and he made it very clear what I needed to do.
“Robert, go find 20 people and help them get $5,000 a month in sales and you’re there!”
“Take the focus off of YOU and start focusing on finding and helping 20 people to get to $5,000 a month in sales and all your problems will go away in less than 2 years….. you’ll probably get there in 12 months!”
He was wrong…I got there in 10 months!
I had to change my focus.
I had been concentrating all my thoughts on ME….. my problems. My lack of activity. My procrastination. My inability to do anything.
So, I began a search.
I started with this crazy one liner that I said to everyone I saw:
“Hey, I’m going to the top of this pay plan in this company. I’m working with the #1 earner and he’s showed me how to do it. Would you like to come with me?”
That’s how I re-built my belief in myself and in this profession we call Network Marketing.
I was looking for other Robert & Sheri Blackman’s.
Good hearted people, who were not afraid of work, but really didn’t have the confidence they needed to do it all alone.
I got help from the #1 earner.
I never forget what I told him before I got off the phone once he game me his game plan.
“If this doesn’t work, I’m going to blame you!”
He chuckled and said:
“If you follow my plan I just gave you, you won’t be blaming anyone. You’ll be thanking me for shooting straight to you and getting you back on track”.
He was right!
I did all of this with leads that I generated on my own.
I called leads every day.
I started with 5, then 10 and worked my way up to 100 per day, or 2,000 per month.
At the end of 4 months I was at $1,000 a month in commissions.
Month 5 I was over $5,000.
Since then, Sheri and I have made millions of dollars and lived a comfortable life where we have more time to spend with each other and with our family.
If you have a downline and they don’t seem to be moving along the ranks of your company get on the phone and map out a game plan to get them to your 1st Pin Level. Then, their 2nd, and beyond.
Most pay plans are so simple.
Most will allow you to get to the top of the plan by just building the first pin level over and over and over again.
If your first pin level is called “Bronze” and your top pin level is called “Diamond” then getting to Diamond is nothing more than building Bronzes day and night.
Break it down to your team this way.
It’s overwhelming when you look at the top of the mountain and you’re at the bottom.
Show them the way.
Show them the volume they need.
Show them the number of people they will need.
Show them how you’ll help them.
If you don’t have an upline, get with your growing upline to help you do the same.
That’s the business in a nutshell.
I call it: “Mastering the Mundane”.
MLM is not rocket science.
It’s nothing more than building Bronzes day in and day out and not getting bored with it!
- Married with five children ages 2 -18.Works from home and considers time more important than money.
- Robert has been in Network Marketing for 33 years.
- Robert Blackman is the Author of two MLM books on Amazon.com.“How to Sit Back & Get Rich in Any MLM” (1996) and “MLM Big Money” (2011).
- He owns and runs a lead generation company.
- He also owns a monthly MLM membership and coaching program.
- He has produced a generic 33-CD MLM Mastery Training Course.
- Has consulted with six different MLM Presidents.
- Is a copywriter for many top MLM distributors.
- As the owner of his own printing plant, Robert merged his warm marketing techniques into the cold market with direct mail recruiting.
- In one year alone he had over 8,000,000 postcards mailed through co-ops in his organization at no cost to him!
- Designed and created one of the world’s largest online recruiting systems that generated over 3,000,000 optins and converted 80,000 of those into paid auto-ship distributors in a 18-month period.
- One of the few distributors that has created large downlines in both warm marketing and cold marketing (both with direct mail and the internet).
- What you’ll learn…
- How to use direct mail to explode your business and your downlines business through warm marketing!
- The biggest mistakes to avoid with direct mail.
- Why I get my prospects street address on all my capture pages.
- Why you MUST use direct mail to build your downline.
- How I convert 46% of all my online squeeze page opt-ins into customers/distributors.
- See exact postcard samples that have I used.
- How I made $3,000 to a list of 1,253.
- How I made $18,000 to a list of 4,285.
- The “1% Rule” of direct mail and how to use it to DOUBLE your group.
- Why it’s “okay” to lose money on your first mailing.
- How to write your own postcard in one afternoon.
- How to get your own postcard co-op going every month at no cost to you!
- Where to get your mailing lists.
- Where to get your printing done.
- How often you should mail your lists.
- When to use a postcard.
- When to use a sales letter.
- How to tie your direct mail into all your online marketing (websites, twitter, facebook, etc.)
- A sample Facebook direct mail campaign that cost me .18 cents per click and created an R.O.I. (return on investment) of 22 times my cost of running the ad!
Latest posts by Robert Blackman (see all)
Don’t ever miss any great articles like this again
Become a 27%er Success Member and get on an incredible journey of growth!
Join Here! Use the Referral Code Robert Blackman to get the special Bonus!
Here is your first Growth Bonus….
Become a $97/year 27%er Success Member and receive one of the best lead generation programs available FOR FREE!
Endless Free Leads. We sell this program for $397 in our store, but you receive it for Free by becoming an annual member! Take advantage of this right away and pass this on to your team today!
Join Here! Use the Referral Code Robert Blackman to get the special Bonus!