We have all heard “The fortune is in the follow-up” but most of us put off the follow-up process in our early stages of network marketing.
I remember having that pit in my stomach when it was time to pick up the 500-pound phone to call a prospect. I could come with ANY excuse to put off the call until eventually, I didn’t even remember who they were. That was then. These days, follow-up no big deal for me. What is different? Two things: Motive and Automation. Let me explain.
First, I was stuck in my head, not my heart. I was calling prospects back to make the sale so I could earn a bonus, not help a new friend. I made it all about ME, not them! Over time, I realized that if I shifted my mindset towards trying to help them, it got a lot easier (and more profitable).
Think about it. Would you get that pit in your stomach helping a friend? Of course not. Why? Because it is about them, not you. And, trust me, they feel the difference too. If they feel you are trying to help them, they are much more likely to listen to you, take your advice, and if it makes sense, buy from you. So, shift your mindset to helping them too, not just yourself.
Automation to the Rescue
The second thing that has changed is that we now have tools to help us more easily follow up with not only our prospects but our customers and team. And the tools are with us 24/7 on our smartphones.
In the old days, those repeated follow-up calls in the evening after dinner used to take personal courage and lots of time. Now, they can be relegated to a custom smartphone app. The app has no feelings that get hurt when the prospect rejects their emails and text messages. It doesn’t even care if they “opt-out” of receiving any more messages!
In fact, it is better if they are opt-out! After all, if they are not interested in our help or our offer, why would we want to beat our head against the wall trying to get them interested? Automation saves everyone time, doesn’t it?
Pick the Right Automation Tool
The most important thing is to make sure you are using the right tools. Here are ten things your smart app should include:
- Is it simple to learn and use? — You won’t use a complicated app.
- Will it save you time? — You won’t use it if it requires too much time.
- Is it low cost? — You and your team must be able to afford it.
- Is it duplicable? — You will want to share your automations with your team.
- Does it help you remember tasks you should do? — You don’t want things to fall through the cracks.
- Does it send out emails AND text messages? — Both have their place.
- Does it include quick and simple websites with info request forms? – COVID requires us to do more online.
- Can it do a time-sensitive blast of an email or text to specific groups of people based on their interest? — e.g. Send a text to people interested in BOGOs on the day the BOGO is announced. (BOGO = Buy One Get One)
- Can you do all the above on your mobile phone within a few minutes? — Do it now, instead of waiting to get home to do on your computer.
- Is there a simple way to create personalized automated emails, text messages and tasks based on someone filling out a web-form? — Remember duplication?
Above are just some things to consider when choosing an automation system. If you would like a more complete list, visit https://MLMMasteryClub.com/followup for “Secret #9: Follow-up can be Easy” from my latest book, Beyond the Products.
Have you had a mind shift of how to embrace follow-up? If you do, your business will build faster and you’ll have happier relationships while you build. And — if you automate, you will also have more time. Who doesn’t want that?
- Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude By Ron Wilder - December 30, 2021
- Re-Igniting Your Network Marketing Passion By Ron Wilder - April 30, 2021
- Developing a “Follow-up” Mindset by Ron Wilder - March 31, 2021